What is the break or call?
The Call or "Break" is a signal used by the lead djembe drummer to communicate changes to the rhythm.
The call can be used to:
- Start the rhythm
- Stop the rhythm
- Indicate changes in the dance steps
The call also contains musical information about the rhythm about to be played.
It helps indicate:
- The starting tempo of the rhythm
- The cadence or "feel" or "swing" of the rhythm
- Whether the rhythm is in more of a binary feel (two or four or eight beat) or in more of a ternary feel (three or six or nine beat)
- The bigger rhythm family to which this particular rhythm belongs